Disable GC entirely

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 09:29:39 PDT 2013

On 11 April 2013 01:38, Andrei Alexandrescu
<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>wrote:

> On 4/10/13 7:30 AM, Manu wrote:
>
>> Hence my passing comment that spawned this whole thread, I see it as the
>>
> single biggest critical mistake in D, and I'm certain it will never be
>> changed. I've made my peace, however disappointing it is to me.
>>

> I disagree with the importance assessment, but am soothed by your being at
> peace.

Well, I personally have no other issues with D that I would call 'critical
mistakes', this is it... and it is a pretty big one. From a performance
point of view, it's very dangerous, and I've also illustrated a whole bunch
of other reasons why I think it's a mistake irrespective of performance.
Also Andrej's recent point was interesting.
Any other gripes I have are really just incomplete features, like rvalue ->
ref (or scope's incomplete implementation as I've always imagined it),
allocations where they don't need to be, better gc control, and general
lack of consideration for other architectures. I can see movement on all
those issues, they'll come around when they've finished baking.
Meanwhile, lots of things that were missing/buggy have been fixed in the
last year, D is feeling loads more solid recently, at least to me. I've
been able to do most things I need to do with relatively little friction.