Disable GC entirely

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Apr 10 14:22:26 PDT 2013

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:35:56 -0400
Jeff Nowakowski <jeff at dilacero.org> wrote:

> On 04/10/2013 01:14 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> >
> > Well yea, Quantic Dream goes WAAAAAY off into the "interactive
> > movie" realm.
>
> Because that's what the game is. There's nothing wrong with it if you
> like it, and many people do.

Look, don't twist my words around.

I didn't say there was anything wrong about Quantic Dream doing that.
Heck, I didn't make any complaint about Quantic Dream at all. Yea, *I*
don't like the directions they've been going, and I do think the
industry as a whole focuses too much on story/etc, but I never said
anything that amounts to "It's wrong that Quantic Dream does it", and
that's because I *don't* feel that way about it.

> > Keep in mind, I'm using "interactive movie" largely for lack of a
> > better term. "Videogame" definitely isn't the right word for them.
>
> They're games,

For many (admittedly, not all) of them, I really don't believe "games"
is an accurate term (Don't misinterpret that into a statement of "Only
true 'games' are legitimate" because I never said such a thing.)
They have interactive sections, and they are entertainment, but being
interactive entertainment does not inherently imply "game".

Keep in mind, even sandbox titles, which are definitely not remotely
"interactive movie" or cinematic at all (at least any of the ones I've
seen), have long been debated as to whether or not they are "games".
And note that nobody ever said that was a bad thing. It might be a bad
thing if the industry focused too heavily on them, but that would be a
completely different complaint.

> and they use the video medium. Video games. The rest
> of your post is mostly just a rant about what you personally like in
> video games/"interactive movies". You are of course entitled to an
> opinion, but the grumpy old man ranting gets old.

I do keep venturing into side-topics (so I like to critique media, so
what?), but I get the impression that you're consistently trying to
twist my main points around into some nastyness that I'm not actually
saying, and make me out to be some "hates everything" grouch when I've
very clearly *praised* certain things too, even certain "interactive
movies" (for lack of a better term) right here in this very sub-thread.

And really, is it so damn horrible to have and voice a negative opinion
on something? Let's all pretend everything in the world is
objectively wonderful, because only optimism and complements should
ever be tolerated!

Sheesh.