Disable GC entirely

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Apr 10 15:02:05 PDT 2013

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 17:33:51 -0400
Jeff Nowakowski <jeff at dilacero.org> wrote:

> > FWIW there's this Neal Stephenson novel "Diamond Age" taking place
> > in the future. That book's vision is that all modern movies are
> > "ractive" (short from "interactive") using networked real players
> > and a loose script, whereas old movies are "passive"s and only
> > watched by a few older people.
>
> Personally I don't think passive movies will ever go away. Many times
> you just want to relax and view the story instead of being part of
> it. People have been pitching "interactive TV" for a very long time,
> but passive TV still dominates.

I'd tend to agree. I've always been huge on videogames (for
whatever definition of "videogame" ;) ), but after all the mental work
of code all day even I'm usually more inclined to just veg out with
something passive. Just don't want to have to "do" any more.

'Course, this suggests it may depend on occupation. A day of route
manual labor, or anything tedious I'd probably be itching to do
something involving thought (but maybe that's just me).

I have noticed that programming and videogames both scratch the same
mental itch, at least for me. If I've been doing a lot of one, I'm less
motivated to do the other.