Disable GC entirely

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Apr 11 01:03:51 PDT 2013

On 4/10/2013 11:55 PM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Some of our consulting projects are conversion of C++ code into one of the said
> technologies. We usually achieve performance parity with the existing application.
>
> With C, C++ and Fortran it is easier to achieve a certain performance level
> without effort, while the other languages require a bit of effort knowing the
> runtime, writing GC friendly data structures and algorithms, and doing
> performance analysis, but it achievable as well.
>
> Many developers don't want to do this, hence my statement.

I've seen enough "performant" C++ code to disagree with your statement. If they
knew what was going on with how C++ implemented their constructions, they could
get a lot better performance.

The second problem with writing performant C and C++ code is the difficulty of
refactoring code to try different data structures & algorithms. Generally, one
picks a design up front, and never changes it because it is too hard to change it.