Formal Review of std.process

Lars T. Kyllingstad public at kyllingen.net
Thu Apr 11 11:12:07 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 11 April 2013 at 15:43:18 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> A couple minor comments:
>
> 1. I have two issues with Error being used.  One is that we
> should have a specific type that is thrown, not raw Error type.
>  Second is that I think in situations where the error is due to
> an incorrect parameter, it should be an exception not an error
> (and not a straight Exception either!).

I agree for the most part.  The 'environment' functions do throw
straight Exceptions, and I'm not happy about that.  I just don't
like the idea of adding even more module-specific Exceptions and
Errors, when what we really should do is decide on a systematic
organisation for the entire library.

Then again, maybe such a reorganisation will cause enough
breakage that one more module makes little difference?  Any good
name suggestions for the errors and exceptions in question?

> 2. For the documentation of inheritFDs, it says that "On
> Windows, this option has no effect."  While this is true, it
> may give the impression that we don't set the bInheritHandles
> flag, which we do.  I think there should be a note on that
> somewhere.

I'll add one.

Lars