Vote for std.process

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Apr 12 00:00:24 PDT 2013

On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 06:25:10 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Can I suggest that ALL new modules should be added to exp.
> rather than
> std.?

Java tried this. As a result, they are now stuck with "javax"
because they realized breaking backwards compatibility wasn't
worth the benefit of "graduating" packages from "javax" to "java".

If the goal is to include new or newly-overhauled modules in
official releases, I think simply putting a big red
"EXPERIMENTAL" warning at the top of the documentation would be
simpler. Then, the warning can be removed when there is a D
release which has no breaking changes in said module since its
last released version.

However, another direction would be to make it easier to test
such fresh modules. For example, it would be nice to have
"nightly" builds of D, both for the "master" version, and a "mob"
version, which includes some work-in-progress developments.