Vote for std.process

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 00:22:29 PDT 2013

On 12 April 2013 17:13, Vladimir Panteleev <vladimir at thecybershadow.net>wrote:

> On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 07:04:23 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> And many many more of the same...
>>

> So how many of these will produce a measurable performance increase when
> optimized, considering the relative cost of process creation?

I agree that spawning processes is a low-frequency operation, but it's a
principle I'm trying to illustrate here.

 This is a lib that spawns a process, I can't imagine why this library
>> should need to allocate a single byte
>>

> So that the library fits in 3500 lines instead of many more, and has an
> API that can be invoked using one line, instead of ten.

You can argue whatever you like. I've said my part, and I wherever it lands
is not my call.
I'm just illustrating the point that phobos, like STL, and to a lesser
extent the CRT, are to continue to be avoided like the plague in some
fields unless these details are considered in future.

Most of the required changes would be self-contained, and not affect the
API at all.