Vote for std.process

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Apr 12 01:18:10 PDT 2013

On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 07:53:04 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Which OS are we talking about?
> What OS runs on an a Nintendo Wii? There's only 24mb of system
> memory in
> that machine, can we afford to allocate it frivolously?

I wasn't aware that writing games for the Wii involves creating
processes in the thousands.

> I don't necessarily disagree with your point (although I don't
> agree
> either). Perhaps in the context of std.process it's not so
> important... but
> it's still an opportunity to set a precedent.
> Honestly, any new module could have appeared for approval at
> this
> particular moment and I would have made the same criticisms. Not
> necessarily picking on std.process in particular, I'm making a
> point about
> phobos, and what is considered acceptable.

Don't forget that shifting focus when adjusting goals is always a
question of tradeoffs. Sacrificing tersity, maintainability,
usability, safety etc. for the sake of performance would be a
poor move in the case of std.process.