Vote for std.process

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 01:26:36 PDT 2013

On 12 April 2013 18:18, Vladimir Panteleev <vladimir at thecybershadow.net>wrote:

> On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 07:53:04 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> Which OS are we talking about?
>> What OS runs on an a Nintendo Wii? There's only 24mb of system memory in
>> that machine, can we afford to allocate it frivolously?
>>

> I wasn't aware that writing games for the Wii involves creating processes
> in the thousands.

Again, I'm just suggesting possibilities, and trying to illustrate that
it's a STANDARD library, you can never predict where users will want to use
it.

 I don't necessarily disagree with your point (although I don't agree
>> either). Perhaps in the context of std.process it's not so important...
>> but
>> it's still an opportunity to set a precedent.
>> Honestly, any new module could have appeared for approval at this
>> particular moment and I would have made the same criticisms. Not
>> necessarily picking on std.process in particular, I'm making a point about
>> phobos, and what is considered acceptable.
>>

> Don't forget that shifting focus when adjusting goals is always a question
> of tradeoffs. Sacrificing tersity, maintainability, usability, safety etc.
> for the sake of performance would be a poor move in the case of std.process.

Can you perhaps quantify how any of those things would be reduced by
addressing at least the details I highlight?
I'm basically advocating making a habit of using the stack where possible.
It's not exactly hard, or cryptic.