Vote for std.process

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Apr 12 01:38:53 PDT 2013

On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 08:26:48 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Again, I'm just suggesting possibilities, and trying to
> illustrate that
> it's a STANDARD library, you can never predict where users will
> want to use
> it.

So you are talking about an imaginary system where memory
allocation is expensive but process creation is cheap.

It's impossible to design and optimize software for some
intangible goals. None of the systems that D targets, or aims to
target, meet that criteria.

> Can you perhaps quantify how any of those things would be
> reduced by
> addressing at least the details I highlight?
> I'm basically advocating making a habit of using the stack
> where possible.
> It's not exactly hard, or cryptic.

Yes. However, I suggest the following instead:

Please rewrite some part of std.process with performance in mind,
and post it here for review. This way, we can analyze the
benefits and drawbacks based on a concrete example, instead of
vapor and hot air.