Allocatoin policy in Phobos - Was: Vote for std.process

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 06:25:22 PDT 2013

12-Apr-2013 17:20, Dicebot пишет:
> On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 13:09:19 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
>> On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 13:00:36 UTC, Robert wrote:
>>> I would suggest, instead of writing your own std.process, that you
>>> simply provide a pull request to the now to be approved one, this way
>>> you can prove your point that it is easy by already improving a part of
>>> the standard library.
>>
>> Actually, Manu (or anyone) could do this for *any* part of Phobos.
>> And considering that std.process is probably the module that would
>> benefit the least from it, maybe he should start somewhere else?
>> std.string, perhaps, or std.algorithm?
>
> Or probably druntime. This rise again and again - until standard global
> allocators are not here it is all a premature and useless optimization.
> It makes no sense to try to workaround a fundamental issue. That will be
> a lot of effort for no real gain.
>
> Allocators are a blocker for almost any memory-related issue in both
> druntime and phobos.

Same here - trying to get out of your way to avoid GC right now is both
painful and useless in the long run. More then that it's limited as you
can't have the default allocation scheme that fits all nor use some
scheme that would require change of API (so that later it's broken again
once allocators come).

--
Dmitry Olshansky