dmd command line options bad design: -offilename, -Ddocdir etc.

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Apr 12 07:48:17 PDT 2013

On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 12:19:09 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 12:12:18 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 09:54:30 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:

>>> Linux would have still taken off... and UNIX would still be
>>> relevant on the
>>> server market.  :)
>>

>> Linux took off because it provided a way to port UNIX software
>> at cost zero.
>>
>> The companies where I developed in commercial UNIX platforms
>> they only used Linux as a way to avoid paying UNIX licenses,
>> not because Linux was something great.
>>
>> The enterprise world only cares about money.
>>
>> --
>> Paulo
>
> I think we can probably agree that linux has become something
> quite great, despite that not being the initial reason for
> adoption.

Fully agree, having access to Linux in 1995 allowed me to gain
skills I could use while working on DG-UX, HP-UX, Aix and Solaris
a few years later.

> Even if you don't like the basic architecture that much, the
> community and frameworks built on top of it have been
> spectacular.

Also fully agree.

I only mean that the community should move beyond basic UNIX
clones, even if many of the concepts stay. Plan9, Minix, Mach,
Hurd, or something else.

If we look at the application level for command line applications
it has hardly changed since System V.

--
Paulo