Vote for std.process

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Apr 12 09:42:11 PDT 2013

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:00:29 +0200
"Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote:

> There's also the question of priorities. Would you rather than
> effort is spent on optimizing std.process (and dealing with all
> the fallout from any such optimizations), or working on something
> that is acutely missing and hurting D?

While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the other points you raise,
Phobos's excess allocations *are* verifiability hurting D. A couple of
the biggest potential user bases for D are videogames and embedded. I
feel confident in saying that no other language has as much potential
in these areas as D has. But these groups have *already*, vocally, been
facing the problem of avoiding/rewriting potentially-large parts of
Phobos, or sticking with C/C++.

Now, you could argue that many of these people are simply being overly
fearful of a merely imagined problem, but even if that's true, the
problem is still real in it's effects: Hindering D adoption and causing
people to (perhaps needlessly) avoid/rewrite parts of Phobos.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we do *or* don't start a big effort to
minimize allocations throughout Phobos, I'm simply objecting to the
implication that unnecessary allocations in Phobos aren't hurting D in
any way.