Interesting D inspired proposal for C++14

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Mon Apr 15 03:39:28 PDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 10:17 AM, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
> http://www.meetingcpp.com/index.php/br/items/a-look-at-c14-and-beyond-papers-part-3.html
>

> Item N3597
>
> /Jonas

They still ban 'new', lambdas, exceptions, comparing pointers to
determine whether they reside in the same memory block, etc.

(DMD still bans closures, but that is a bug.)

If I understand it correctly, their rules do not support their
motivating example, based on "implementation complexity" concerns.
Building interpreters is not hard.

Item N3582 (return type deduction) is also present in D. Though they
have to account for the strange special rules of decltype and auto. They
introduce a wholly new notion of decltype(auto) type deduction in order
to support what we call auto ref return.