dmd goes epic

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Apr 15 11:03:23 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 01:42:45PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:58:18 +0200
> David <d at dav1d.de> wrote:
[...]
> > and opera, meh, it's opera.
>
> I completely agree, but at least it isn't IE or *shudder* Chrome. I
> had been using Arora instead of Opera for awhile, it showed a lot of
> promise, but it's kinda half-finished and a little crashy, and dev on
> it seemed to have mostly stopped last I checked.

Sigh... I long for the good ole days of Opera 2, which *used* to be the
cleanest, fastest, least crash-prone, least resource-hogging browser
back in the day. I still use Opera as my main browser 'cos it still has
the best UI for me (I've tweaked it to my heart's content -- it lets you
do that -- and the built-in per-domain-suffix JS/cookie/popup settings
are a lifesaver for me), but gone are the days of being cleanest,
fastest, least crash-prone, and least resource-hogging. :-(  Its memory
usage is particularly annoying these days, and I frequently find it
disk-bound even when I'm not doing anything.

I wish the devs would focus more on solidifying the core browser and
tune it up like the good ole days, instead of wasting time on peripheral
things that I don't even care about, like mobile syncing, email,
chatroom, cloud, etc. (why it is that browsers these days are obsessed
with feeping creaturism until they become a poorly-reimplemented
standalone *OS*, I will never understand).

If you compete with slaves, you become a slave. -- Norbert Wiener