Is there any plans to make working signals in D?

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 07:21:16 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 18 April 2013 at 13:25:32 UTC, Denis Shelomovskij
wrote:
>>  - What is the fundamental problem.
>
> When a delegate is created information about it's outer scope
> is lost instead of being stored in it's ptr.

That doesn't mean anything. No information is stored into a ptr
except an address in memory.

>>  - Why this fundamental problem is a language issue and not a
>> lib one.
>
> Looks self-evident.

It look self evident to me that the earth is flat when I look
through the window.

>>  - How does you proposition solve it.
>
> It stores the information about delegate's outer scope wasting
> (oh God, how many, especially in contrast to GC allocation) a
> few bytes.

I don't care about the cost. You have made no point in 3 pages in
favor of the change you propose. Not even an invalid point I can
disagree on.

> As everything I have written above is known, I still don't
> understand why you are telling about signal fixing as a main
> problem as it is just an example of problems that occurs when
> we throw away outer scope information without any practical
> reason, IMO.

It is an example of a library interface issue (very real). To
propose a language change, you must show that this limitation is
in fact a symptom of a deeper cause, which it at language level
(so that must be fixed at language level).