DIP 36: Rvalue References

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 03:55:36 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 21 April 2013 at 01:04:04 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 April 2013 at 18:00:50 UTC, Namespace wrote:
>>> The fact is, there's much more to any change than simply
>>> implementing it. Changes break unexpected things. There are
>>> always extra corner cases not considered. There are always
>>> bugs and inconsistencies.
>> Could be, but I don't see what could be broken by this DIP.
>> All contingencies are listed also in the DIP (and that are not
>> many). And it passed all tests what is crucial.
>>

> The DIP for instance, consider that const scope ref is
> semantically equivalent to pass by value, when it isn't (and
> not only for performance reasons, but for aliasing reasons).
> Nothing is considered about it.

At least some objections that make sense and I'd love to see in
the very first announcement. If you see any issues that prevent
treating "const scope int" as "const scope ref int", please tell
about them and they will be addressed in DIP. Because it is the
intention. I don't understand what aliasing are you speaking
about.