Attribute inference for auto functions?

Zach the Mystic reachzach at gggggmail.com
Sun Apr 21 17:52:59 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 16 April 2013 at 15:22:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> There's a discussion that may be of interest to the larger
> community:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1877
>
> Andrei

I just want to say I'm pretty gung-ho about the idea of attribute
inference. If the interface files are blown up to their full
explicit attributes, then the big problem of the PIMPL idiom
could be solved, with modular programs getting all the info they
need and the original source code still quite trim and easy to
write. In the discussion of the possible uses of the 'scope'
parameter attribute, and 'ref' safety in general, there's a lot
of subtleties. One solution to the subtleties is additional
attributes, which might be cumbersome to write individually, but
easier if inference were on the table.