RES file not linking anymore with DMD v2.052

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Mon Apr 22 10:51:23 PDT 2013

On 22.04.2013 14:02, Ettienne Gilbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've finally gotten round to upgrading my DMD to v2.062 (from v2.059) -
> running on Win XP.
>
> I've had no issues recompiling the (quite old) DFL library I use with
> the latest DMD, so went on to rebuild a tool I previously developed
> (that uses DFL). Everything compiled ok, but the linker choked on my RES
> file. (This project build fine and worked perfectly on previous versions
> of DMD up to and including v2.059). The error is:
>
> OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 8.00.12
> Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2010  All rights reserved.
> http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/optlink.html
> atrchecker.RES(3) : Error 52: .DEF Syntax Error
> DO

I suspect your build script has somehow omitted a ',' from the command
line in its invocation of optlink. The usage is

LINK obj[,out[,map[,lib[,def[,res]]]]]

so if a comma misses, your resource file is interpreted as a def file.

If you are invoking the linker through dmd, you might want to check the
linker call by adding "-v" to the command line.