Stable D version?

eles eles at eles.com
Tue Apr 23 01:33:04 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 23 April 2013 at 07:52:20 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 April 2013 at 07:50:44 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> I have raised this topic several times already. Stable version
>> that is guaranteed to never break user code
>

> So what happens when a flaw in the language is fixed?
>
> Do you fix it and break code, or do you leave it broken?

I am more for following the C/C++ solution: periodical revise the
language, but not every two months. Several years and once that
the compiler infrastructure is already in place and tested,
publish (officially) the new version.

During the meantime, users could live with workarounds and
"forbidden to do that!". Look at C and MISRA-C.

It won't help to declare a stable version of D, while keep adding
new things. What would really help is to stop adding new things,
remove those that we are in doubt if they are good or no
(properties?) or, at least, leave them as they are, then move
towards improving the tools.

A cleaner language with better tools will allow D to take off,
while still leaving room for possible improvements in future
revisions.

C++ did not start as a perfect language, nor it has become, still
there are tools for it, people are using it, companies are hiring
C++ developers.

Being predictable does matter sometimes. Tools matter too.