Stable D version?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Apr 23 04:48:37 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 23 April 2013 at 07:43:21 UTC, Flamaros wrote:
> On Monday, 22 April 2013 at 22:17:33 UTC, eles wrote:
>> On Monday, 22 April 2013 at 14:25:21 UTC, David Nadlinger
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What would be the benefit of just declaring one release
>>> stable?
>>>
>>> This is not a trick question.
>>
>> That would not be a benefit, maybe. But, however, an answer to
>> the question: "will EVER D be finished?" would be more than
>> wonderful.
>>
>> Clean up the doubtful or wrong features and let it as it is.
>> Further language improvements should be made after several
>> years of use. Much like C++ is evolving with its standards,
>> also C (C89, C99 etc.)
>>
>> Seriously, now, D is in the making for a decade and more. And,
>> until it gets stable and Walter STOPS working on D (language)
>> and, instead, only works on the COMPILER, things are not done.
>>
>> D starts looking like the D in _D_uke Nukem Forever (and
>> forever it will take...).
>>
>> I got old looking at D and hoping that it will ever get
>> released.
>>
>> Imagine that Bjarne Stroustrup would proceed today with
>> changing C++ at the same pace as D is. C++ still evolves,
>> albeit less fast than D, but also with much more scrutinity
>> and, let's say, conservatorism. Which, after a while, it is
>> good.
>>
>> Will D remain the forever unborn child of the programming
>> languages?
>>
>> Born it. Let it become what is intended to be: a MATURE
>> language. Yes, it might not grow perfect, but it will grow. It
>> needs to get into childhood, enough with the (pro-)creation.
>>
>> At my job I went back to C++. With a language contunously in
>> the making, the tools will never mature enough, never will get
>> Eclipse plugins as good as CDT, never etc.
>>
>> I have that feeling (correct me if I am wrong) that C++ will
>> catch up with D in several years. Look at C++11, it is a nice
>> improvement. C++14 will be (hopefully) even better. And,
>> then?...
>>
>> Radons&Minayev made a good decision to quit D back then and
>> never look behind. A toy it was, a toy remained.
>
> I don't think my boss I have to know if D is finished to let us
> adopt it for future products, he only want to know we'll able to
> create our next product with D with the same requirement and if
> the delay will be the same or better.
>
> For the moment due to our target platform the response is no.
> But
> if we target only Desktops the answer seems to be really close
> a yes. Some libraries are missing, but there is nothing we
> aren't
> capable to write. The major issue for a boss is to accept to
> move
> "old" c++ code to trash, that was his investment, actually
> because there is no D developers on job market, D code isn't
> valuable for him.
>
> To break the vicious circle some companies have to take the risk
> to migrate to D and let the world know it.

> [...]

The hardest selling point for systems programming languages is to
get them adopted by an OS vendor, until then they are just
another tool for business applications, a field already too
crowded nowadays.

Look at C++, only in the last decade did OS vendors start coding
operating systems in C++, instead of plain C, to the point that C
is now considered legacy at Microsoft.

Who knows how long it will take for another vendor to pick up D
for such use cases, even if it was 100% stable today?

These things take a long time, even programmer generations.

--
Paulo