DIP 36: Rvalue References

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 11:32:46 PDT 2013

On 24 April 2013 04:01, Andrei Alexandrescu
<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>wrote:

>> On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:33:31 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org**> wrote:
>>
>>  Our intent is to make "ref" always scoped and reserve non-scoped uses
>>> to pointers.
>>>

>> So no more returning ref?
>>

> If we can't return ref, ref has failed. (This is what makes the entire
> thing difficult btw.)

I think the key that's not in this DIP is that it should also return 'scope
ref' to maintain the safety.
This brings the proposal in-line with your plans, except the safety is
explicit, and the option is available to the programmer.

Making 'safe' ref the default is a major breaking change.