Twitter widget cut on dconf.org on Chrome/OSX

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Apr 23 15:40:44 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 23 April 2013 at 21:39:39 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Thanks, confirmed (comes to 641px in my browser). Problem is
> that constraint seems to be generated dynamically.

http://dconf.org/includes/css.js

This looks like a JS hack for the multi-column CSS problem
(trying to have multiple columns, and having each column have the
height of the tallest one).

CSS3 has columns. Current browser support:
http://caniuse.com/#feat=multicolumn

However, in this case, this seems unnecessary, as the left part
of the page will rarely be taller than the right part, and even
in that case, the layout looks acceptable. Thus, it's possible to
simply set the vertical separator as a non-repeating background
on the left side of the right-hand column.

I was going to send a pull request to
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dconf.org , but that
repository is out of date. Here's some "patches" and a patched up
page to test: http://thecybershadow.net/d/dconf-org-layout/

(Alternatively, just use a table.)