1 matches bool, 2 matches long

eles eles at eles.com
Fri Apr 26 14:28:01 PDT 2013

On Friday, 26 April 2013 at 21:14:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> There's nothing whatsoever about bool that
>> makes sense as an integral type.
>
> This is where our perspectives sharply diverge. A bool is a 1
> bit integer type. Take a look at this, for example:

Uh, uh, that's not a bool. It is a bit (binary digit, just to be
sure).

That is: a figure of the base 2. The very definition of bit.

I still have to see some computer course introducing a byte/octet
as a group of 8... booleans.

No: boolean is a logical entity and is true or false, while the
bit is a figure (a number) and is 0 or 1.

They may overlay for programming purposes to some extent (a
bijection, after all), but let's not take the one for another.

Why the computer theory invented the notion of bit? The term of
"boolean" was available for centuries.