1 matches bool, 2 matches long

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Apr 27 12:51:48 PDT 2013

On 4/26/2013 7:36 PM, Mehrdad wrote:
> Walter, you're completely missing the point.

I completely understand it is a perception problem. Some people see bool as a 1
bit integer (including me). Some see bool as something very distinct from
integers (including you).

An analogous issue comes up here now and then about 'char' and characters. Are
chars an 8 byte integer, or are they characters, or are they octets, or should
access only be allowed to multibyte characters as an indivisible code point?
(This comes up in regards to indexing char[].)

> The point is that people can live with the consequences of your short/long
> example, but they can't do the same with Andrej's bool/long example.
> No matter how right you are, if you keep insisting your way is correct, D will
> continue never becoming popular because people will continue finding it hard to
> use.

What I find distressing about these kinds of threads is how people dig in and so
fortify their position on a rather trivial matter and then it blows up into some
do-or-die thing.