A due celebration

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Apr 27 15:30:18 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:58:24PM +0200, Rob T wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 April 2013 at 21:17:42 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> >I invite everybody to not just patch around the problems you see
> >in your D code, but to reduce and report the issues,
>
> I report what I can, and I'd like to say I have been impressed with
> seeing these bugs get fixed quickly. Reasonably quick bug fixes is
> very important to encourage bug reporting.

Yeah, the bugfix rate for DMD/Druntime/Phobos is quite on the high side,
as far as open source projects go. Keep it up!

Also, I'd like to say that if you have written working D programs,
you're probably capable of fixing some Phobos bugs. Thanks to D's
features, Phobos code is actually quite readable as far as standard
libraries go (if you ever tried looking at the source of, say, glibc, or
*shudder* ncurses, you'll know what I mean). Many of the simpler bugs
are well within the reach of anyone who has working D experience.

So, put on your programming hat, and start squashing some Phobos bugs!
The more people contribute, the fewer trivial bugs will take up the core
devs' time, so they can concentrate on the more difficult issues.

> Unfortunately, sometimes you just cannot report bugs. I've come
> across a few rather annoying ones but was unable to reduce the
> problem to a level that could be reported. Hopefully these difficult
> to report problems get fixed by fixing other things and refactoring
> code.
[...]

Vladimir Panteleev's dustmite really helps here. It's really simple to
use, too.

	https://github.com/CyberShadow/DustMite

The early bird gets the worm. Moral: ewww...