1 matches bool, 2 matches long

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Apr 28 17:19:16 PDT 2013

On Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:16:58 Walter Bright wrote:
> > which makes it so that you can define how a user-defined type will be
> > treated when used in a condition and for built-in types completely
> > removes if statements and loops from discussions on implicit conversion
> > as there's no implicit conversion being used (unless you're arguing for
> > the cast to not be inserted for conditions, in which case, implicit
> > conversion _would_ be used).
> I can't make heads or tails of this!

I mean that if conditions and loop conditions have nothing to do with implicit
conversions, because an explicit cast is inserted for them by the compiler.
So, if you're discussing implicit conversions, conditions really have nothing
to do with what's being discussed - _unless_ you're arguing that if statements
and loops should use an implicit conversion instead of inserting an explicit
cast. The poster I was replying to was lumping in examples of if conditions
and loop conditions with examples of implicit conversions.

- Jonathan M Davis