Stable D version?

eles eles at eles.com
Sun Apr 28 23:45:31 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 28 April 2013 at 12:01:58 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 28.04.2013 12:03, schrieb Dicebot:
>> On Sunday, 28 April 2013 at 09:24:13 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
>>> I also think when modules are integrated into the C++
> True, but only now the major OS vendors are switching from C to
> C++ as their main systems programming language.

I think that exactly because it is a switch *in the happening*,
it is the moment for D to be involve in that switch. Because
project managers are considering switching and they look for
alternatives. Maybe some of them will tell themselves: "well, if
we switch, why do not take that D in consideration? at least, for
experimenting and see what it gives".

It is useless to be a good alternative if nobody wants to switch.

If they go down on the C++ path, then two things will happen:
-they will be even more reluctant to do another switch, while
their code base matures (and, do not forget, interoperability or
portability from C to D is one thing; form C++ to D is a
different, huge, beast).
-C++ will get more traction and more pressure to improve itself,
from vendors and community at large. it will advance faster.

In the end, we should not be sorry, as programmers we will win
better language, better tools. But I am afraid that D will not
win as much.