Stable D version?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Apr 29 02:24:28 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 28 April 2013 at 23:11:30 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
> On Sunday, 28 April 2013 at 12:01:58 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> True, but only now the major OS vendors are switching from C
>> to C++ as their main systems programming language.
>
> Curious, which ones are you referring to?
>
> Windows uses C for the kernel, for many reasons, one of which
> is that C (unlike C++) discourages storing large objects on the
> stack.
>
> Linux uses C for the kernel too, mainly because Walter hates
> C++ (and C++ programmers).
>
> Which vendors have switched to C++ for systems programming?

BeOS/Haiku - C++

Symbian - C++

MacOS X - Device Drivers are written in a C++ subset (IOKit)

z/OS - Original code was Modula-2/Assembly, with new code being
C++

Windows - WinRT is C++, C is considered legacy, Herb Sutter
stated at BUILD 2012 that Windows team is making kernel code C++
compatible. I can search for the exact minute in the videos if
you wish.