GDC and GCC. Merging 4.9 but cannot understand something

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Aug 1 01:25:26 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-01 at 10:12 +0200, Larry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I read somewhere that gcd and gcc will be merged:
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/kyoredrrscclqziyaesp@forum.dlang.org?page=1
>
> But I cannot understand how different languages can use the same
> compiler.

GCC is structured as front ends and backends. Different language front
ends are possible, so C, C++, D, Go all have fronts ends as part of GCC.
The backends determine what machine code is generated, so Intel, ARM,
etc. GCC is thus a compiler framework. one of the componenets is gcc the
C compiler one is g++ the C++ compiler on is gccgo for Go and gdc for D.

> D is not far from c/c++ but it has its own hacks, right ?

D is a long, long way from C++ thankfully!

> Are gdc devs developping D as close as c/c++ as possible ?

No.

> I cannot understand how it will work.

Hopefully the above is illuminating.

--