Article on programming language adoption (x-post from /r/programming)

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Thu Aug 1 08:39:23 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 1 August 2013 at 15:01:39 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> When every you are trying to optimize for speed you need to
> always be aware of your bottle necks, for streaming video its
> internet speed, for a CUDA application its main memory, for
> coding its they keyboard.

I don't buy it. In a daily programming actually writing code
takes no more than 10% of time for me. 30% planning what needs to
be done, 30% figuring out what some piece of code does, 30%
debugging. Even full elimination of typing phase (literally,
imagine some magic tool that directly translate your thoughts to
code) wont be as useful as something that halves time for _any_
of three other parts. And static strong typing helps them all. As
well as any compile-verifiable correctness.

People that have bottlenecks in actually writing code must be
genius and never make mistakes.