[OT] Engine braking

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 12:05:13 PDT 2013

On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 11:56:02 -0700, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 8/1/2013 11:37 AM, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
>> On 08/01/2013 02:14 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, you don't think the Prius is a status symbol? :-)
>>
>> Nope, they're an affordable and practical car, and quite common these
>> days.
>> Tesla, now that's a status symbol.
>
> "as long as the hybrid remains a symbol of a driver’s commitment to the
> environment, especially among the nation’s wealthiest, the future of the
> Prius should be secure."
>
> http://www.forbes.com/sites/eco-nomics/2012/08/09/is-the-toyota-prius-the-latest-status-symbol-of-the-wealthy/
>

> The Prius isn't very green, either:
>
> "When you factor in all the energy it takes to drive and build a Prius
> it takes almost 50% more energy than a Hummer. In a study by CNW
> Marketing called "Dust to Dust", researchers discovered that the Prius
> costs and average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000
> miles (the expected lifespan of a hybrid). On the other hand the Hummer
> costs $1.95 per mile over an expected 300,000 miles. Which means that
> the Hummer will last three times as long and use less energy than the
> Prius."
>
> http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/03/toyotas_prius_is_less_efficien.html
>

> It's not easy being green :-)

If we've learned anything at the shop it's that people can't be bothered
with the facts. They seriously don't care if you have studies backing up
the environmental damage, they believe they are green and will take those
beliefs to their graves. Ideology is funny that way. :-)

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender