[OT] Engine braking

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 1 14:40:57 PDT 2013

On 8/1/2013 2:30 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> The disadvantage of gasoline is that in a sense we're "cheating",
> because the energy stored in it was built up over millions of years by
> ancient organisms that have long decayed, and we're only now discharging
> all that build-up. We didn't pay anything to put that energy there,
> that's why it's so economical.

Yet the electric power to charge the batteries comes from burning coal and
natural gas :-)

Yeah, I know, solar, wind, etc. But that's still way off in providing base power.

Like I said, it ain't easy being green. It's hard to do a "dust to dust"
analysis, and most of the time people simply choose to ignore costs that are
hard to calculate.