[OT] Engine braking

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 15:10:06 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 1 August 2013 at 21:52:19 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> The bottom line is that to be truly green, we have to spend
> millions of
> years building up reservoirs of fuel built from solar energy.
> The rate
> at which we're burning up energy in today's society is simply
> untenable
> in the long run.

I don't believe this is true. It's a technological hurdle, but I
don't see any reason that it's an insurmountable one.

> (Well, there's always nuclear energy, of which there is
> plenty to go around, but it comes with other disadvantages. :-P
>  Some
> days you win, most days you lose.)

Surely you mean most days you win, some days you lose? Nuclear is
great 99.9% of the time, the someone doesn't do their job
properly and wooops....

My hopes are with fusion. Specifically ITER. My research is on
diagnostics/data analysis for tokamaks, working with the guys at
Culham, UK (MAST and JET). They are cautiously optimistic.