Updates to the WindowsAPI translation instructions; D2 only?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 1 15:28:37 PDT 2013

Moreover, while getting rid of Windows 9x has simplified the versioning, I was just
thinking about how far back along the NT line we should go.

At the moment, we go back to NT4.  But it's now harder to verify whether it supports a
given API since the MSDN docs now seem to start at Win2k (even functions that were in
Windows 3.x are now down with "Windows 2000 Professional" as the minimum version).  So
maybe we should just make Win2k the baseline version.

Moreover, my inkling is that Win2k is the oldest version any major software company claims
to support now.  Programs made with current DMD have XP as their minimum Windows version,
but that doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't support 2k, since third-party compilers
could also use our bindings.

The baseline version doesn't necessarily need to be the same as the default version.  For
instance, we could make 2k the baseline version, i.e. the minimum supported version and
hence what one gets when none of the "static if (_WIN32_WINNT >= ...)" blocks are compiled
in, but have XP has the default version, i.e. the one assumed if no version flags have
been specified.

What do people think we should do?  Opinions please!

Stewart.

--
My email address is valid but not my primary mailbox and not checked regularly.  Please
keep replies on the 'group where everybody may benefit.