[OT] Engine braking

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Thu Aug 1 17:17:06 PDT 2013

On 08/01/2013 02:56 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> "as long as the hybrid remains a symbol of a driver’s commitment to the
> environment, especially among the nation’s wealthiest, the future of the
> Prius should be secure."
>
> http://www.forbes.com/sites/eco-nomics/2012/08/09/is-the-toyota-prius-the-latest-status-symbol-of-the-wealthy/

I wonder how old most of those cars are, because these days there are
lots of alternative hybrids, with the Prius being one of the cheaper
ones. I think this meme has an expiration date, and is already starting
to taste sour.

> The Prius isn't very green, either:
>
> "When you factor in all the energy it takes to drive and build a Prius
> it takes almost 50% more energy than a Hummer. In a study by CNW
> Marketing called "Dust to Dust", researchers discovered that the Prius
> costs and average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000
> miles (the expected lifespan of a hybrid). On the other hand the Hummer
> costs $1.95 per mile over an expected 300,000 miles. Which means that
> the Hummer will last three times as long and use less energy than the
> Prius."
>
> http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/03/toyotas_prius_is_less_efficien.html
>

> It's not easy being green :-)

http://google.com/search?q=prius+hummer
-->
http://www.thecarconnection.com/tips-article/1010861_prius-versus-hummer-exploding-the-myth

"But Toyota also says that the study uses an unrealistically low
estimated lifetime for hybrids, and that there's no data to support its
assumptions in this. For instance, according to the study the average
Prius is expected to go 109,000 miles over its lifetime, while a Hummer
H1 would go 379,000 miles. CNW says about hybrids: “…these are generally
secondary vehicles in a household OR they are driven in restricted or
short range environments such as college campuses or retirement
neighborhoods.”"

So even assuming CNW is correct about the buyer and usage, if that same
buyer had bought a Hummer instead it would have been driven the same
miles as the Prius. There are a lot of other disputes pointed out in the
article. The CNW study looks like a hit piece.