Updates to the WindowsAPI translation instructions; D2 only?

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 02:40:22 PDT 2013

On Friday, 2 August 2013 at 09:28:46 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 August 2013 at 23:00:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 8/1/2013 3:28 PM, Stewart Gordon wrote:
>>> What do people think we should do?  Opinions please!
>>
>> Even supporting XP is problematic because of the badly broken
>> thread local storage support for DLLs in it, which D heavily
>> relies on. I wouldn't say this for a C++ compiler, but for D,
>> I kinda feel that Windows 7 should be the minimum.
>>
>> We can certainly ditch all the Windows 9x support.
>
> Windows XP user-base is still very big. I would vote against
> ditching the XP support. The main reason ReactOS
> (http://www.reactos.org) is becoming so popular is precisely
> because XP users consider it as alternative once the XP support
> from Microsoft is gone. ReactOS is slowly reaching the stable
> state, it even "works" on my HP Z200 workstation at work! :)
>
> I have a Windows XP netbook that I still use on a daily basis!
> :) All I am trying to say is - XP is not dead, yet...

Here is a link for you to backup my claim -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems .
If you go to http://www.netmarketshare.com/ and pick the
Operating Systems -> Desktop Share by Version option, you will
see the most recent data. Windows XP holds 37.2% of the desktop
share - IMHO it is not something to ignore.