D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

soywiz soywiz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 06:33:04 PDT 2013

I just replied here with my motivations:
https://github.com/soywiz/pspemu/issues/1

"D is just fine to create an emulator. The problem was that I was
doing emergent design, so I was refactoring a lot. And design
flaws caused the refactorings to be massive. D didn't had a good
IDE allowing refactoring by that moment (not sure about that
now). That was the main reason for me to change the technology.
Also there was minor flaws:
Compilation times were huge. I was using lot of compile-time code
generation and at least at that time, that code was interpreted
or not enought fast for me. Also I didn't get incremental
compilation working, it failed everytime probably because that
compilation-time stuff causing the compilation to take stuff like
1 entire minute. And that was unacceptable too for me. I needed
to run it lots of times to doing research. Also I needed a needed
to chaneg the emulator to perform dynamic recompilation instead
of just interpreting. With C# I could do portable dynarec very
easily. In the case of D I would have to creaet a emitter per
supported platform (mostly x86, x64 and ARM).

And my decission to use C# was not because I didn't like D. In
fact, I liked D a lot, that much that I started an emulator using
it."