request switch statement with common block

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Aug 3 12:22:53 PDT 2013

On 8/3/2013 12:00 PM, JS wrote:
> What I really don't get it is why people think that just because they won't use
> such a feature then it must be useless to everyone else.

You could provide supporting evidence by examining every use of switch in the
dmd, phobos, and druntime source code, and see what percentage of those would
benefit from your proposal.

Consider, for example, the scope guard statement in D. It is extremely useful -
but it is an unusual form (doesn't exist in other languages) and programmers
just don't think in those terms. Andrei & I constantly have to work at 'selling'
the benefits of it. It still hasn't really caught on.