D game development: a call to action

Borislav Kosharov bosak at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 12:36:01 PDT 2013

Oh and I completely forgot to mention that I am working on a D
version of the spine runtime (http://esotericsoftware.com/). If
you haven't heard of it it is a 2D skeletal animation tool that
exports to bin or json(other formats too). And there are many
runtime libraries for many languages(currently no D support) and
popular game engines. Although the tool isn't free ($70), it
helps development A LOT. However the 'format' is open, so one
could write his own editor/exporter.
Runtimes are usually split up in two - engine and renderer. The
engine part is language-specific (for example C#) and it only
parses the data into appropriate structires that the renderer
will use later. The renderer part is gameengine-specific (for
example Unity, XNA, MonoGame for C#) and uses the engine part's
source. Then the renderer part just implements one or two classes
that do the actual rendering and logic updates that are
engine-specific.

And yeah, I decided to make a D runtime for spine:

https://github.com/nikibobi/spine-d - engine part (pure D)
https://github.com/nikibobi/spine-dsfml - renderer part (D +
DSFML)

Also I forgot to mention that aubade made an separate repository
for SFML extensions ported to D like sfMod and sfMidi

https://github.com/aubade/dsfml-contrib

Also about your original post you mentioned SFML-D and if you
have looked the original SFML site's bindings
page(http://www.sfml-dev.org/download/bindings.php) it is
indicated that SFML-D is inactive. And there is Jebbs DSFML
marked as active along with Direlict 3