Evangelizing Your Cool Product

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Aug 5 12:44:14 PDT 2013

This is a bit of a generic reply to a constant theme I see here.

It pains me to see a lot of great D projects languish in obscurity, and often
the author(s) eventually get frustrated with that and abandon them.

The problem is that "Field of Dreams", i.e. "build it and they will come" is a
Hollywood fantasy. The authors simply must promote it. That means, at the barest
minimum, writing a nice article that answers the basic questions:

    who
    what
    where
    when
    why
    how

and then getting that article published & promoted in social media, online
magazines, etc. Note that online magazines are BEGGING for content. Some will
even PAY MONEY for decent content.

Throwing code up on github isn't good enough. Expecting people to read the
source code to figure out who/what/where/etc is never going to work. A one line
announcement "Hi! I just released Dxxxxx! Enjoy!" is going to fail. Hoping that
others will pick up the flag and carry it for you is a pipe dream.

I know that people often are reluctant to promote their own stuff because they
feel it's immodest. All I can say is get over it! Look at Donald Trump, Steve
Jobs, Gene Simmons, Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, etc. None of them are/were remotely
shy about promotion.

Besides, it's fun when others read one's articles and comment on them, a lot
more fun than waiting to be discovered.