bug reporting

captaindet 2krnk at gmx.net
Mon Aug 5 13:44:06 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-03 18:29, captaindet wrote:
> recently i inadvertently created some noise in the bug
> reporting/tracking system. i had run into an ICE after using
> '__MODULE__' in a certain way. before reporting the bug, i did enter
> '__MODULE__' in the search mask of the tracking system but got no
> hit. so i thought it was a new issue and reported it. turns out this
> bug was reported before and the issue was resolved 2 weeks ago. what
> i did not know then (but found out now) was that after the 0-hit
> search i should have clicked the innocent looking 'edit search' link,
> which is actually an 'advanced search' feature - then latest* i would
> have realized that the default search excluded resolved issues,
> activated them, and then found out about the issue being reported and
> resolved already.
>
> i think it is an easy pit to fall into, at least for first time
> reporters. i'd like to suggest some improvements to the tracking
> interface:
>
> 1 'edit search' should be 'advanced search' as it is the standard
> name for this 2a make the default search to include resolved issues
> or b even let the 'report new bug' link direct to the advanced search
> already or c put up a brief explanation how ppl have to search the
> database properly before reporting a bug
>
> i felt sorry for having wasted my time with reporting a resolved
> issue and even worse of course for having wasted some developer's
> time for straightening the records.
>
> /det
>

> * yes, the default search results list which bug statuses were
> included in the search and that 'resolved' or 'closed' was not among
> them...but it is so easy to overlook something that is not there...

i just realized the the actual entry point for the issue tracking, i.e.
http://d.puremagic.com/issues
is much more helpful/useful than the bug reporting link put on the dlang 'bug tracker' webpage  ( http://dlang.org/bugstats.php ), i.e.
http://d.puremagic.com/issues/enter_bug.cgi?product=D
with the latter, as far as i can see, being the only link from dlang to the issue tracker. weird. i think dlang should link to the overview page of the issue tracker (first of the two links above).

/det