Article on programming language adoption (x-post from /r/programming)

Gambler fake at feather.org.ru
Mon Aug 5 13:58:37 PDT 2013

On 8/1/2013 9:21 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> They see more value in unit
> tests than types, both overall and as a debugging aid. Fur-
> thermore, how features are presented strongly influences
> developer feelings about them, such as prioritizing class in-
> terfaces much higher than static types
>
> Stop the world, I want to get out!

This does not surprise me. TDD has been sold as One True Way of
programming for decades now. A lot of modern developers just throw the
code (and tests, which are also code) at the problem until it seems
solved. Using type system or declarative functional programming to
eliminate certain errors is often not considered during development.