Designing with the GC out of mind

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 07:27:30 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 6 August 2013 at 13:43:01 UTC, JS wrote:
> I'd still like some easy way to hook into the GC to monitor
> what is going on though because ultimately I'd like to disable
> the GC but then must guarantee that memory is not leaking.

Using a debugger is the easiest way. You can also hack on
druntime (various ways to do this, including one option that
doesn't actually edit druntime, linked to earlier in this
thread).. and there's a gc proxy in the code but idk how to use
it.

> seems the typeid you mention should solve this(but to be
> honest, I don't know if it will completely solve the issue or
> how performant it is).

typeid just fetches the TypeInfo, so they're the same thing I'm
not sure how fast it is to fetch that info, but that's what the
gc does so you're at least no worse off.