D component programming is a joke (Was: Re: Component programming)

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Aug 6 09:32:14 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 06:20:23PM +0200, bearophile wrote:
> H. S. Teoh:
>
> >It looks like I may have to sort out some issues with compiler bugs
> >before officially posting this article, though, since the code
> >apparently fails to compile with many versions of DMD. :-(
>
> If not already present, I suggest you to put a reduced version of
> the problems you have found (with map or something else) in
> Bugzilla. (Otherwise I'll try to do it later).
[...]

Actually, the problem has been fixed in git HEAD, it's just that 2.063
doesn't have the fix. The basic cause is that std.range.chunks in 2.063
and earlier requires slicing, but I need to use it with a forward range
that doesn't have slicing. This limitation has been removed in git HEAD
(upcoming 2.064).

I've already solved the problem in the code by using "static if
(__VERSION__ < 2064L)" and providing a bare-bones replacement of
std.range.chunks that does support forward ranges.

Customer support: the art of getting your clients to pay for your own incompetence.