Evangelizing Your Cool Product

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Aug 6 19:27:43 PDT 2013

On 8/6/2013 4:28 PM, MattCoder wrote:
> Another example is Steve Jobs, how many games he promoted at Atari? None, on the
> other hand he promoted the first Apple Computer, but who built that machine was
> the by the other Steve.

Few of us are lucky enough to have a Steve Jobs to promote what we do.

Lots of very talented people at the time were designing and building homebrew
computers. (Hell, even *I* made one in 1978, and I'm not even an EE!) They all
went nowhere and are forgotten today. The only reason we remember Woz and his
homebrew computer is because of Steve Jobs.

 From what I gather, and I know someone who attended those meetings of the
Homebrew Club, without Jobs Woz would have made a few computers, given them out
to his friends, and moved on to something else.

It simply isn't enough to create a great product.

(Back in the early days of my compiler, I partnered with John Haggins who had a
knack for promotion and made Zortech a success.)