Evangelizing Your Cool Product

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 05:31:40 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 6 August 2013 at 23:28:44 UTC, MattCoder wrote:

> I don't think you should just compare programmers/developers
> with entrepreneurs like you did. Of course there are
> programmers who market/promote their own software, but most
> don't or at least not like an entrepreneur would do.

Maybe those weren't great examples, but the underlying message is
definitely true.  It's pretty clear at this point that promotion
is an important part of going indie with games; look at
Introversion, Dejobaan, Gaslamp, Positech, Wolfire, and whatever
Jon Blow calls his outfit.  And how many years was Phil Fish
writing about Fez?  For the tools side, Adam Saltsman with flixel
and Nicolas Cannasse with Haxe are decent examples.

Or Mozilla.  Ooh man, Mozilla is a good one.  How popular do you
think Firefox would be without the concentrated campaign to "take
back the web" and all that?

Writing about your stuff and telling people about your stuff is
just super important (even if doing it kind of sucks).

-Wyatt