D web/server app hosting

nazriel spam at dzfl.pl
Wed Aug 7 20:36:13 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 6 August 2013 at 11:58:37 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
> Are you developing Web / server applications in D?
>
> Where are you hosting them? Your own servers? AWS? Linode? Etc.
> What would you recommend?
>
> How do you manage app versioning and deployment? For instance,
> AWS Beanstalk seems to be nice but Java only.

http://www.mydevil.net/en/

It is shared shell hosting.
The prices are very good (1 PLN stands for ~0.20 Euro). You can
run anything you want.

They are even officially promoting D as one the languages they
support ;)

After you buy an account you get access to 5 servers,
shell-general one, web dedicated server, java server, torrent
server, irc server.

Starting an D website is as simple as typing:

devil www add dhere.yourdomain.com pointer mdshell 3066

And running vibe app on port 3066 on shell server.
Of course you can reserve whatever port you want, and you can run
app itself on whatever server you want. Although DMD is
preinstalled on shell one.

+ you get other goodies like VPN in 5 different countries, free
IPv6 address, git/svn repos etc

On a side note, those guys are FreeBSD freaks and stability is
really strong there. I think they never got below 99,50% SLA
since I am using their services.

I've been using Adam's stuff and my own stuff.
I also fired up some vibe.d demos but nothing fancy tbh. Actually
DMD memory usages disallows me to even test vibed.org homepage on
my local computer without workarounds (yeah, DMD just loves to
hang computers when it does some hard CTFE ;))