parseJSON bug

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Aug 8 14:55:47 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 11:40:45PM +0200, David wrote:
> Am 08.08.2013 22:15, schrieb Tofu Ninja:
[...]
> > It is really bad that people are actually talking about starting
> > there own standard lib, I wasn't around for the whole phobos vs
> > tango thing but from what I hear, it wasn't pretty. If there is
> > problems with phobos or the way its managed, I feel like we should
> > try and fix them and not try to replace it.
>
> phobos is actually useable, still I don't like many of its design
> choices. I feel the same with D. D itself is better than most
> languages, I still think there is a long way to go, but "official" D
> people seem like it's enough and block progress

Well, I don't speak for them, whoever they are, but in my understanding
one of the main reasons there's such a high bar to changes is because
we're trying to stabilize the language so that adopters can rely on it
not having drastic changes every other release, that will require
massive code rewrites. No language will ever be perfect, and if we keep
on breaking people's existing code in the endless quest to improve the
language, D will have no users left.

> (e.g. @property/-property the whole situation is a mess, but instead
> of properly reimplementing it, they try to fix an already broken
> system and break code with it, why not break code once, but replace it
> with a proper system)

The problem is that nobody can agree on what the "proper" system should
be. We've had that @property discussion before. Nobody is happy with the
current state of affairs, but nobody can agree with what the solution
should be, either. We just have long neverending debates about it but no
conclusion is ever reached.

Perhaps what's needed, is somebody who's headstrong enough, and
persistent enough, to just pick one of the solutions -- any one of them
-- take the time to implement it in DMD, and show it to the rest of us
to prove how superior it is. Then continue to pester Walter ceaselessly
until he agrees to merge it. In the current state of stalemate, an
actual, working implementation of a solution (even if it's not quite the
one that one may have in mind) should be pretty convincing.

Complaining about it yet being unwilling to do anything about it, OTOH,
is very likely to just fall on deaf ears, judging from what I've seen
around these parts. That's just the way things work, unfortunately.
*shrug*

Some days you win; most days you lose.