UFCS for templates

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Aug 8 20:48:57 PDT 2013

On Friday, August 09, 2013 05:29:05 JS wrote:
> On Friday, 9 August 2013 at 00:57:21 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> > On Friday, 9 August 2013 at 00:34:31 UTC, JS wrote:
> >> Are you not smart enough to come up with use cases yourself?
> >> This is not some extremely rare thing that might be used 1 in
> >> 10^100.
> >
> > It's not his proposal. The burden of proof is on you.
>
> Um, not really..
[snip]

Actually, that is how it works. If you want a change made to the language, you
have to convince the maintainers of the language that your proposed change is
worth making. You can throw ideas out there all day if you want to, but
changes are made because someone convinces the people in charge that they
should be made. If we implemented every stray idea that was proposed, we'd
constantly be implementing new ideas and never have a stable language. We
also likely wouldn't a language that was worth using.

Even if your idea is absolutely fantastic, you have to convince others of
that, or it's not going anywhere. The attitude of "take it or leave it" when
presenting an idea will pretty much always result in "leave it." There are
just too many ideas and too much to do for it to be otherwise.

Also, you're coming across as being very combative and confrontational, and
whether you mean to do that or not, it's not conducive to having a rational
discussion or having the sort of collaborative environment that we're looking
to have here. If you want others to listen to you or to convince anyone of
anything around here, you may want to consider adjusting how you present
things so that you and your arguments come across in a more favorable light.

- Jonathan M Davis